Order of hands in online poker
Luckily, there is a simple answer to this question. Whether you play in an old or new online casino , there is always a consistent order of poker hands that determines which player has the best hand.
How are hands valued in poker?
There are three different categories that are important when evaluating a poker hand. You are:
- Validity of the cards: The cards with the numbers are ranked in numerical order from 2 to 10. The picture cards are of higher value than the number cards in the order of J, Q, K and A. The A or Ace can in Some poker variants also have the value 1 – more below.
- Color of the cards: To put it simply, the colors, ie cross, check, heart or spade, do not matter for the value of the hand. There is only one situation in which the colors matter: if the dealer determines who is the dealer at the beginning of the round. For example, if two players have an ace, the one who has the higher begins. The order is then as above, cross is the worst and spades the strongest.
- Cards in a row: There are winning hands based on the player having five cards in ascending order. For example, a straight of 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7. Another example is 8, 9, 10, J and Q.
After these basics, we can go over to discussing the hands that you should pay particular attention to. Below is the official order of poker hands, from the best to the worst hand.
- Royal Flush: The best possible hand in poker. In the Royal Flush, the player holds all picture cards and the highest number card in the same suit, ie 10, J, Q, K and A. In the unlikely event that two players have a Royal Flush at the same time, the pot is split.
- Straight Flush: Just like the Royal Flush, the Straight Flush also contains five cards of the same suit in ascending order. If two players have a straight flush, the one with the highest card wins, for example:
Hand # 1: 8,9,10, J and Q – Q is the highest card
Hand # 2: 7,8,9,10 and J – J is the highest card
Hand # 1 wins because Q is higher than J.
- Vierling: This hand is available if you have four cards of the same value, for example four nines. If two players have exactly this hand, the one with the highest card wins. For example, four nines beat four threes.
- Full House: If you have three cards of the same value, for example, JJJ, and the other two cards are a pair, for example, KK, then you have a full house. If two players have this hand, the one with the higher triplets wins:
Hand # 3: 88833 – the trebles are the eighth
Hand # 4: 555AA – the trebles are the fives
Hand # 3 wins, as eights are higher than threes
- Flush: This hand consists of five random cards of the same color, for example cross. They do not have to be in a specific order or value. If two players have a flush, the player with the highest card wins.
- Straight: A street is just five cards in ascending order. For example, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6. The color is not important. A straight flush is therefore a combination of this hand (cards in ascending order) and a flush (cards of the same suit).
You should note that the ace can also count as 1: A, 2, 3, 4 and 5 is also a road.
- Treble: Three cards of the same value. If two players have this hand, the one who has the higher triple wins. For example:
Hand # 5: The three of a kind is AAA
Hand # 6: The treble is QQQ
Hand # 5 wins as AAA is higher than QQQ
- Two pair: Two pairs are of course better than a pair but not as good as a treble, that’s the poker rules. The higher-valued pair wins if two players have the same hand. If the higher pair is the same, the other one decides:
Hand # 7: AAKK – the second highest pair is KK
Hand # 8: AAQQ – the second highest pair is QQ
Hand # 7 wins because KK is higher than QQ
If two players have two equal pairs, the higher card will decide.
- Pair: As the name implies, these are simply two identical cards. If two players have this hand, the higher pair wins. If the pairs are equal in value, the higher ticket decides.
- Highest card: If none of the players has scored any of the above combinations, the player with the highest card wins. If this is the same, decides the second highest, etc.
It is worth mentioning that in games like Hold’em and Omaha two players can have the same triplet or quad. That can happen when they play the “Joker’s Wild” variant. If this case occurs, then the ticket, also called Kicker, counts. If you have the higher-quality kicker next to the pair, you win in your hand. In the event that two players have the same treble and the same kicker, then counts the second highest card.
After our detailed description of the order of hand you now know exactly which cards to watch out for. And it does not matter if you play in the best online casino or in a questionable establishment.
Get a great bonus offer
Whether you are looking for a casino with great table games or a live casino that meets your expectations, or you are just looking for a good casino bonus, you will find it here.
In our list of recommendations you will find the best online casino bonuses. If you want to see the complete list, just click on the button below.
Poker Glossary: Poker Terms Fully Explained
If you are looking for strategies and tips for online poker, just stop by CasinoBonus…
Online Bingo: How To Play Bingo
Each of these options has its advantages, but when you play online, you do not…
Baccarat Glossary: The Complete Guide to the Baccarat Jargon
If you are looking for more strategies and tips for the popular table game, then…
Online Poker: How To Play Poker Properly
How to play online poker? First of all, you need to find a site on…
An introduction to the poker variant Texas Hold’em
Most online poker sites are built around the different versions of Texas Hold'em. It definitely makes…
Online Baccarat: How to Play Baccarat?
Before you get started, you should know one thing: The name of the game is…